The following is a transcription of Malakwa Cemetery located in Malakwa, British Columbia, Canada.
After the Presbyterian/United Church was built in 1923, land was purchased for a cemetery. The first person to be laid to rest in the Malakwa Cemetery was Anna Sederberg in 1926. The name Malakwa is a Chinook jargon word for Mosquito.
This is a public cemetery currently in use and it is administered by the Regional District.
The Malakwa Cemetery is contained in approximately 2 acres. The burials are laid out in east/west direction in levelled graves. There are both upright raised markers and flat markers set flush with the ground. The cemetery is completely surrounded by a chain link fence.
In one part of the cemetery white corner posts with a chain between and white painted logs on the ground surround an area about fifteen feet square in which a plaque with the following inscription rests among small evergreens.
Near the Malakwa Café and Eagle View Hotel turn west onto a short access road that will lead to Malakwa Road.
Turn north onto Malakwa Road and travel for 0.8 km.
Turn east onto Malakwa Cemetery Road for 0.1 km.
The Malakwa Cemetery can be located on the left hand side. The cemetery borders the Trans-Canada Highway and can be seen from it; however there is no direct access from the Highway.
The interments for the Malakwa Cemetery can be viewed as a pdf file here » Interments.pdf
Last updated 1997